[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #27814: Automatic updates should not be silently disabled if I have .hg in file system root

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Apr 15 09:39:01 UTC 2014

#27814: Automatic updates should not be silently disabled if I have .hg in file
system root
-----------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  jgehrcke         |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement      |      Status:  new
Changes (by nacin):

 * version:  3.8 => 3.7
 * milestone:  Awaiting Review => Future Release

Comment:

 Hi jgehrcke, thanks for the ticket.

 When we did auto updates, we wanted to be ''super'' careful about stepping
 on toes. We turned on automatic updates by default for everyone and that
 was pretty scary for a lot of folks. To rationalize this, we coded it up
 for it to be as safe as possible, and that included assuming that if you
 were using any form of version control, then you knew better than us. It's
 possible that you have a website repository one, two, or more levels
 higher than WordPress core (which could easily be a subversion external or
 git submodule in this case).

 Here, you trust the feature and don't want it to be so skittish about
 deciding whether to update your install. This is one of the best bug
 reports for a developer to receive. The automatic updater class is
 flattered.

 There was a follow-up blog post on the same blog:
 http://make.wordpress.org/core/2013/10/25/the-definitive-guide-to-
 disabling-auto-updates-in-wordpress-3-7/. There, it explains the rationale
 with a bit more depth. And it also describes a simple filter you can use
 as a permanent workaround.

 I think one thing we could do here is let WP_AUTO_UPDATE_CORE = 'minor'
 explicitly override certain things, since that's the default and it would
 only be specified if someone really wanted it.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/27814#comment:1>