[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #27814: Automatic updates should not be silently disabled if I have .hg in file system root

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Apr 15 09:17:57 UTC 2014

#27814: Automatic updates should not be silently disabled if I have .hg in file
system root
-----------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  jgehrcke         |      Owner:
     Type:  enhancement      |     Status:  new
Component:  Upgrade/Install  |    Version:  3.8
 Severity:  normal           |   Keywords:
  Focuses:                   |
-----------------------------+-----------------------------
 My WordPress does not apply updates automatically, although it is told to
 via define('WP_AUTO_UPDATE_CORE', 'minor');. WordPress did not send any
 mail with an error report, so I had no idea how to debug that issue. I
 then found http://wordpress.org/plugins/background-update-tester/ which
 told me that all conditions pass except for

 {{{
 FAIL: The folder / was detected as being under version control (.hg).
 }}}

 '''What?''' Yes, indeed, I am managing system configuration files via
 Mercurial. The repo is placed in the root of my file system. This is
 *'''completely'''* unrelated to my WordPress installation.

 I see the rational (http://make.wordpress.org/core/2013/09/24/automatic-
 core-updates/):

 {{{
 If the install is running as a SVN or GIT checkout, automatic updates are
 disabled
 }}}

 But the way it is currently detected is in my opinion strongly over-
 generalized:

 {{{
 It looks for .svn, .git, .hg, and .bzr folders in ABSPATH, and every
 directory above that up to /
 }}}

 It is fine if WordPress makes assumptions about its own eco system.
 However, the current implementation assumes that any DVCS placed in any
 directory when going up the file system hierarchy up to the root is
 controlling WordPress. What is this assumption based on? That WordPress
 should be the only thing running on a Linux box? :-) Seriously, this is
 not a good way to detect if the current "''install is running as a SVN or
 GIT checkout''".

 I think everybody agrees that I should not be forced to get rid of my
 system configuration repository in order to make automatic updates work
 again. I think WordPress should change this behavior.

 What are other good ways of determining "if the install is running as a
 SVN or GIT checkout"? One could also question the rational behind this:
 ''If it is a SVN/GIT/... checkout then *'''most likely'''* it is a
 development version and the developer *'''most likely'''* does not want
 automatic updates to be enabled?'' Too many assumptions in this for my
 taste, even if we could reliably determine whether the current WP
 installation is a DVCS checkout.

 Could that whole thing be done more explicitly?

 What would be a quick workaround for me, if I really want to have
 automatic updates without getting rid of /.hg?