[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #24317: Custom Taxonomy Overview page gives wrong "Filter Posts by Term" URL parameter

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sat May 11 13:04:46 UTC 2013

#24317: Custom Taxonomy Overview page gives wrong "Filter Posts by Term" URL
parameter
 Reporter:  tar.gz        |      Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)  |     Status:  new
Component:  General       |    Version:  trunk
 Severity:  normal        |   Keywords:
 In the admin interface, if we go into Posts > Categories, or Posts > Tags,
 we see an table showing all our Categories/Tags. The right column of that
 table shows the number of Posts for each Category/Tag. That number is
 hyperlinked - when we follow it, we see a listing of all the Posts that
 have that Category/Tag.

 For ''Categories'', the link is built like this:
 - wp-admin/edit.php?category_name=my_category_term

 For ''Tags'', it looks like this:
 - /edit.php?tag=my_tag_term

 Now, let's say we create a ''Custom Taxonomy'', called "foo".
 Automatically, WordPress gives us an overview of that taxonomy, at /edit-
 tags.php?taxonomy=foo - so far, all is good.

 '''The issue:'''

 Let's say we have a taxonomy term named "bar". Let's imagine that the term
 has been applied to 3 Posts. If we click that number/link, we arrive at
 /edit.php?foo=bar

 '''Expected result:'''

 We expect to see a filtered list, showing the Posts that have the "bar"
 term assigned (in our example, 3 Posts).

 '''Actual result:'''

 The ?foo=bar parameter has no visible effect: it doesn't isolate the 3
 Posts with the "bar" term. We see the complete list of Posts, without any
 filtering - the same as visiting /edit.php

 '''What works:'''

 If we ''manually'' change the URL parameter to make it look like this:
 wp-admin/edit.php?taxonomy=foo&term=bar
 we do achieve the expected result: we see our list of 3 Posts. Hooray!

 '''What needs to be done:'''

 We need to change the function that generates those filtering URL
 parameters for Custom Taxonomies on the edit-tags.php page.