[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #23144: Non writeable uploads folder may result in URLs to existing attachments fallbacking to use GUID

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Jan 8 16:19:45 UTC 2013

#23144: Non writeable uploads folder may result in URLs to existing attachments
fallbacking to use GUID
-----------------------------+--------------------------
 Reporter:  eskapism         |       Type:  defect (bug)
 When using wp_get_attachment_url() the returned url may fall back to using
 the value stored in the GUID field, if the uploads folder is not
 writeable.

 I think this only happens if the uploads folder for the current year +
 month does not exists.

 Reason for this is in wp_upload_dir(): it returns everything ok, including
 an error like "Unable to create directory wp-content/uploads/2013/01. Is
 its parent directory writable by the server?" which makes the
 wp_get_attachment_url() function think something is wrong and therefor
 uses GUID instead, since it does a check for just FALSE and not the type
 of error.

 In my example I am getting an attachment/file that exists in the folder
 "uploads/2012/12", so the month/folder 01 is not necessary at all.

 I don't see the need for falling back to GUID because of a non-writeable
 uploads folder since this should only be considered wrong when adding
 files, not when reading existing files. All other information for getting
 the file is correct. Also, perhaps you can spare some MS if you skip the
 does-folder-exist-for-current-month checks when just getting file info.