[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #21872: RSS Widget, and all of fetch_feed() I believe, forces its own feed order of Post Date DESC

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Tue Sep 11 15:25:32 UTC 2012

#21872: RSS Widget, and all of fetch_feed() I believe, forces its own feed order of
Post Date DESC
 Reporter:  madtownlems   |      Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)  |     Status:  new
Component:  General       |    Version:
 Severity:  normal        |   Keywords:
 My events management plugin wanted to provide Upcoming Events via RSS.  I
 wrote a pre_get_posts filter to modify the order and orderby of the
 event's feed to be Ascending based on a the event's start date, and it was
 good.

 Good, however, for only as long as you don't subscribe to the feed using
 WordPress (whether it be the event site or one on a totally different
 network).  WordPress, upon fetching the feed, always re-sorts the posts
 according to the post date.  Subscribing with something like iGoogle, will
 show me my upcoming events in the order that I've coded.

 Is this an intentional design decision? It feels to me that the generating
 site should be responsible for the order of the feed, and WordPress should
 respect the generating site's wishes and present the feeds in the order it
 is given.