[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #20283: Create new variable or function in $wp_query object to get canonical URL of any site's page

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Sat Mar 24 09:50:11 UTC 2012

#20283: Create new variable or function in $wp_query object to get canonical URL of
any site's page
-------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  egorpromo    |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement  |      Status:  new

Comment (by egorpromo):

 For single posts it is possible  to get canonical URL by used
 get_permalink() function or if we have paged post by used
 [http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/16973 some function] that will be
 in future versions.

 For any archive page there is no decision. It is possible to use
 get_pagenum_link() function in way like
 get_pagenum_link($wp_query->query_vars[ "paged" ]), but it is odd. If we
 have URL with unnecessary parameter like
 http://example.com/?cat=3&some_param=some_var (‘some_param’ is odd and
 unnecessary parameter) it makes parameter will be in every another page
 like http://example.com/?cat=3&some_param=some_var&page=2.

 Conclusion. Now we can retrieve canonical URL for single post (or single
 page or single attachment) only.

--
Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/20283#comment:1>