[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #20283: Create new variable or function in $wp_query object to get canonical URL of any site's page

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Thu Mar 22 14:42:37 UTC 2012

#20283: Create new variable or function in $wp_query object to get canonical URL of
any site's page
 Reporter:  egorpromo    |      Owner:
     Type:  enhancement  |     Status:  new
Component:  Canonical    |    Version:  3.3.1
 Severity:  normal       |   Keywords:
 For the sake of Search Engine Optimization it's recommended to set
 canonical URL inside <link rel='canonical'> tag in any site's page.
 Incorrect URL can exist in search engine index. For example:
 http://example.com?some_param=some_val&cat=3,4. URL points to categories
 with id equals 3 and 4, but we have another unnecessary parameter
 'some_param'. It's malicious! We must set canonical URL to
 http://example.com?cat=3,4.
 So It's advance to have canonical URL generated some way. I propose to set
 function or variable inside WP_Query class to retrieve canonical URL to
 any opened page.

 In WP_Query we have variable WP_Query::query which consists of all
 necessary parameters for that propose. But we must use $wp_rewrites also.
 Any thoughts?