[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #15440: PCLZIP_ERR_BAD_FORMAT (-10) : Invalid archive structure during plugin update

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Tue Nov 16 15:53:13 UTC 2010

#15440: PCLZIP_ERR_BAD_FORMAT (-10) : Invalid archive structure during plugin
update
 Reporter:  LongTail Video  |       Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)    |      Status:  new
Component:  General         |     Version:  3.0.1
 Severity:  normal          |    Keywords:
 Currently, as part of our JW Player plugin we include several player skins
 so that users can customize the look of the JW Player.  These skins are
 packaged as zip archives.

 For a while now we've been getting reports from our users having
 difficulty performing the automated update/install.  These users are
 receiving a PCLZIP error which claims the plugin archive is invalid.

 From looking at the source code I see that WordPress first attempts to use
 the ZipArchive PHP module to unzip plugin packages.  This always works for
 users updating our plugin.  If this is not available it then uses a
 fallback library called PCLZIP.  After some experimentation, it seems that
 PCLZIP has difficulty unzipping archives that contain archives.

 Is this a known issue from your experience?  If so, is there a workaround
 other than removing the zip skins from our plugin package?