[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #13476: Switching columns in screen options make you loose all your setting in the side column

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Fri May 21 01:01:23 UTC 2010

#13476: Switching columns in screen options make you loose all your setting in the
side column
 Reporter:  wjm           |       Owner:
Component:  General       |     Version:  3.0
 Severity:  normal        |    Keywords:  screen options, side column, ajax
 If you go to Add Post > Screen Options  and switch to 1 column, and then
 you go back to 2 columns,
 the 2nd column (SIDE column) will be empty

 The only wat to fix this is MOVE BACK every single box to where it was and
 never again switch to one column.

 I tried to understand why was that and changes are saved via admin-ajax.

 Here are the http request logs.
 http://wordpress.pastebin.com/t3HKvHP6
 I start with 2 cols and an empty side column, 1) I move the post-excerpt
 box to the side bar 2) I switched to 1 col 3) I switched back to 2 cols.

 Look, in the 2nd request, ` order%5Bside%5D=
 order%5Bnormal%5D=...,postexcerpt ` order[side] is empty and postexcerpt
 gets set in order[normal] I don't know if that is the expected behaviour,
 but are the original settings for [side] saved somewhere so when we switch
 back to 2 columns, can they be reloaded?

 here is what´s saved to the database

 please read the full code in php serialized format
 http://wordpress.pastebin.com/VN0LYGb7

 but in plain english is as follow:
 #Step 0: initial stage: 2 cols, side bar empty
 #Step 1: move postexcerpt into the side bar
 `Array
 (
 [side] =>
 [normal] => ALLTHEBOXES
 [advanced] =>
 )
 `
 #Step 2: switch to 1 column
 `Array
 (
 [side] => postexcerpt
 [normal] => ALL THE BOXES except "postexcerpt"
 [advanced] =>
 )`
 #Step 3: switch to 2 columns
 `Array
 (
 [side] =>
 [normal] => ALLTHEBOXES
 [advanced] =>
 )
 `
 #Step 4: reload page:

 `Array
 (
 [side] =>
 [normal] => ALLTHEBOXES
 [advanced] =>
 )
 `

 It is clear that once you switch to 1 column, everything in the SIDE COL
 is moved to the end of the NORMAL COL, and all the changes are lost and
 switching back to 2 columns wont do anything.

 this is happening in wp3.0-beta2