[wp-trac] Re: [WordPress Trac] #9474: Installation fails produces a blank screen on a default CentOS 5 Server Install

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Wed Apr 8 05:16:28 GMT 2009

#9474: Installation fails produces a blank screen on a default CentOS 5 Server
Install
 Reporter:  shawnmjones     |       Owner:  anonymous
     Type:  defect (bug)    |      Status:  new
Component:  Administration  |     Version:  2.7.1
 Severity:  major           |    Keywords:
Changes (by shawnmjones):

 * cc: shawnmjones (added)

Comment:

 Replying to [comment:1 DD32]:
 > I know for a fact that on a default CentOS5 install, It gives a warning
 about MySQL not being installed...

 enabled: http://core.trac.wordpress.org/browser/trunk/wp-settings.php#L143

 http://core.trac.wordpress.org/browser/trunk/wp-settings.php#L259

 > Now.. As to why you didnt get the error, I'm not sure.... Do you have a
 custom db.php file in wp-content/db.php ? (I'm thinking maybe a
 distribution is including it for some reason?)

 I've set up a new VM of a default CentOS server install.  I only added the
 package mysql-server.  I downloaded the WordPress tgz and
 uncompressed/untarred it within /var/www/html (the default web server docs
 directory).

 There is no wp-content/db.php present.

 I get this error when visiting the site with a web browser:

 {{{
 There doesn't seem to be a wp-config.php file. I need this before we can
 get started. Need more help? We got it. You can create a wp-config.php
 file through a web interface, but this doesn't work for all server setups.
 The safest way is to manually create the file.
 }}}

 I clicked the button "Create a Configuration File".  This passes me to
 setup-config.php which tells me that I need to know my database
 information in order to run setup.  I click "Let's Go!" and am presented
 with a form to fill in my database information.

 Upon clicking "Submit" I get a blank screen.  No error message is
 presented.

 There is still no wp-content/db.php present.

 A very cursory look at setup-config.php does not show wp-settings.php has
 been included.

 I inserted the following code before line 318 of wp_db.php:

 {{{
 $smj_included_files = get_included_files();
 echo "included files so far:<br>";
 echo "--------<br>";
 foreach ($smj_included_files as $smj_filename) {
   echo "$smj_filename<br>";
 }
 echo "--------<br>";
 }}}

 which produces the following output in the browser:

 {{{
 included files so far:
 --------
 /var/www/html/wordpress/wp-admin/setup-config.php
 /var/www/html/wordpress/wp-includes/compat.php
 /var/www/html/wordpress/wp-includes/functions.php
 /var/www/html/wordpress/wp-includes/classes.php
 /var/www/html/wordpress/wp-includes/wp-db.php
 --------
 }}}

 It doesn't look like the contents of wp-settings.php ever get loaded at
 this point.

--
Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/9474#comment:2>