[wp-meta] [Making WordPress.org] #6722: Support Forums: Timeframe to edit posts or to add further posts should be longer

Making WordPress.org noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Jan 31 21:46:42 UTC 2023

#6722: Support Forums: Timeframe to edit posts or to add further posts should be
longer
----------------------------+-----------------------
 Reporter:  abitofmind      |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  enhancement     |      Status:  reopened

Comment (by macmanx):

 From a moderator standpoint, increasing the edit window will burden the
 already overspent volunteer moderators.

 Many new abuse options have been outlined above; the biggest, in my
 opinion, would be the ability to initially post with insults/threats (so
 those are emailed out) and then editing to remove them.

 Many issues with leaving threads open forever have been outlined above
 too, but more open threads = more to moderate.

 Unless you can find a way to sustainably double the volunteer team size
 (as in they stick around after a few weeks), please don’t be surprised if
 the scale and availability of moderation will be the primary factor here.

 Would a larger editing window or leaving threads open forever benefit
 users? Sure, I can see where that rationale comes from.

 Would it be currently impossible to moderate it? Absolutely.

 --

 From a technical standpoint, several hurdles would need to be crossed
 before this can happen. It's not just a simple flip of a switch.

 As already mentioned, there are no email notifications of edits. The edit
 window is so small because it's for typos and such. If 2 hours later, you
 remembered more useful info and you edited the post, there would be no
 notification of the edit.

 So, that would have to be addressed first.

 Conversely, you could simply add your 2-hours-later-idea as a reply, and
 an email notification would be sent.

 We have no required way of logging edits. Who changed what, when, and if
 possible, why? These questions must be answered for edits in any
 responsible moderated content system.

 So, that would also need to be addressed first.

 A field explaining the edit will open a spam option, so we'll also need to
 implement tracking there.

 --

 In short, it's an interesting idea, and thank you for putting thought into
 it from a user standpoint.

 However, from a moderator and developer standpoint, we are very far from
 being able to make a change like this today.

 More volunteers contributing to the Support Team will be required to help
 scale us up to handle the added burden:
 https://make.wordpress.org/support/handbook/

 And more volunteers contributing to the Meta Team will be required to help
 with the additional work that needs to be done to turn this into a
 feasible option: https://make.wordpress.org/meta/handbook/

--
Ticket URL: <https://meta.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/6722#comment:8>