[wp-meta] [Making WordPress.org] #7161: Remove auto-closure from support from threads and add warning if thread is old instead

Making WordPress.org noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Aug 18 12:50:16 UTC 2023

#7161: Remove auto-closure from support from threads and add warning if thread is
old instead
----------------------------+---------------------
 Reporter:  alh0319         |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  enhancement     |      Status:  new

Comment (by jdembowski):

 The 6 months topic closure after last reply should remain because after
 that does not help the support topic owner, meaning the person who raised
 the ''support topic'' in the first place.

 > Most support ticket systems have a "reply and close" option.

 > I discovered 12 support tickets yesterday

 This is part of the problem and I am not trying to be pedantic, honest.

 The WordPress support forums are not a ticket system. We call them support
 topics because ticket systems have service level agreements (SLAs),
 moderation options for the ticket owner, etc. and ''support topics'' have
 none of that. If a plugin author or support person chooses not to even
 reply to a support topic, that's fine. See the part about no SLAs.

 As I wrote, support topics belong to the person who raised it. Ownership
 and responsibility does not belong to plugin authors. By keeping a topic
 open or permitting it to be re-opened would not help the original poster.
 Neither does pile on replies from other people.

 People can and should raise their own topic for their own problem. A
 person who still has the problem in a topic they raised that was
 automatically closed can and do raise a new support topic. They don't need
 a plugin developer to reply afterwards.

 If a plugin developer wants, and many do, they can always refer support
 forum users to their own ticket system. In that event a stick post from
 the plugin developer and/or an update to the plugin or theme readme.txt
 file can facilitate that.

 I ''think'' the plugin support link on the plugin page can have that opt-
 ed in to send the user to the developer's site for support but I am behind
 in my reading so check that too. I may be totally off on that last one.

--
Ticket URL: <https://meta.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/7161#comment:14>