[wp-meta] [Making WordPress.org] #5671: If an original line does not contain a dot at the end of the line but the translation does, the record will be fuzzed

Making WordPress.org noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Mar 25 07:28:49 UTC 2021

#5671: If an original line does not contain a dot at the end of the line but the
translation does, the record will be fuzzed
--------------------------------------+---------------------
 Reporter:  psmits1567                |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  enhancement               |      Status:  new

Comment (by Nao):

 For now, I prefer the auto-suggesting (not auto-saving) replacement route
 – as long as they are suitable for all locales.

 These are different variations of the period symbol that I know of.

 * Japanese and Chinese: [https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%E3%80%82 。]
 * Hindi, Bengali, and Assamese: [https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%E0%A5%A4
 ।]
 * Armenian: [https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%D6%89 ։]
 * Khmer: [https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%E1%9F%94 ។]
 * Myanmar/Burmese: [https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%E1%81%8B ။]
 * Tibetan: [https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%E0%BC%8D །]
 * Urdu: [https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%DB%94 ۔]
 * Thai: no period

 But in Japanese, we use the English period when the string is not
 translated (e.g.
 "[https://translate.wordpress.org/consistency/?search=All+Rights+Reserved.&set=ja%2Fdefault&project=
 All Rights Reserved.]"). I can't confirm but I think this is the same for
 others. Happy to do more research once we decide on the direction!

 Also, 3-dots (...) at the end of a sentence tend to stay as-is for many
 locales (Japanese uses a native character for it, which is a single
 letter: `…`). There may be other exceptions like this.

--
Ticket URL: <https://meta.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/5671#comment:5>