[wp-meta] [Making WordPress.org] #5093: Proposal to allow users to remove URLs that they have added to their posts in the support forums

Making WordPress.org noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Mar 17 11:20:46 UTC 2020

#5093: Proposal to allow users to remove URLs that they have added to their posts
in the support forums
----------------------------------+---------------------
 Reporter:  carike                |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect                |      Status:  new

Old description:

> The Problem:
>
> - Many users are asking that their posts be deleted or edited to remove
> URLs, which they included in their posts in order to get support.
> - We do not want users to be afraid to ask for help when they need it.
> Fear is not conducive to creating a positive learning environment.
> - Having these conversations take time and is taxing on moderators, as it
> can take a while to explain to a user why their URL cannot be removed.
> The outcome can often leave both the poster and the moderator
> dissatisfied.
>
> The Constraints:
>
> - Removing posts / threads may hinder other users who are looking for
> answers to a similar problem.
> - Removing URLs currently require manual moderator intervention (time).
>
> The Proposed Solution:
>
> - After the hour window to edit their own post has expired, offer the
> user a button that can remove URLs from their post instead of the box
> with their post contents.
> - This can be done by searching the post for http:// or https:// (these
> already turn into blue hyperlinks automatically upon posting) or www. and
> replacing them with:
> "[URL redacted by poster]".
>
> We could include a sentence about the tool being in beta, in the hopes
> that it will be useful to users, next to the button / on hover.
> We could also specify that it will only work for links starting with
> http://, https:// or www. and that other links cannot be removed by the
> tool.

New description:

 Our volunteers and moderators aren't our target audience. The forums
 aren't "for" them. They're for the end users, and people who post
 messages. If we're providing a bad experience to end users (which is
 demonstrably true at the moment), then we need to solve for that first and
 foremost.

 If solving that impacts the resources/processes of our volunteers, then we
 need to change those resources/processes. We can't just immediately shut
 down any discussion of improvements which require additional volunteer
 resource as a dead-end, unless we've actively decided that WordPress'
 reputation and market share doesn't matter to (all of) us - which as far
 as I know, isn't the case.

 Let's try to be a bit more open and productive around how we explore this,
 maybe? If volunteer resourcing is the issue, then let's not conflate that
 with the utility or viability of the proposal, and let's work
 collaboratively to find a compromise. I think that, perhaps, we're all
 over-reacting on the amount of additional resource required to police
 this. We already police it, and, it's evidently a drain.

 What if we just gave the moderators the tool to remove the link, as a
 test? Then nobody's doing any more / different work than at present, but
 we create some more happy, positive interactions, rather than making
 enemies of the community? If nobody dies, then we circle back around,
 regroup with some learnings and insight, and discuss next steps.

--

Comment (by jonoaldersonwp):

 Our volunteers aren't our target audience or target users. If they have a
 bad experience, they don't abandon WordPress for Wix, or tell their
 friends how awful their experience was.

 If we're providing a bad experience for users, which is demonstrably true
 in the current case, then we need to solve for that.

 If solving that impacts the resources/processes of our volunteers, then we
 need to change those resources/processes. We can't shut down any
 improvement which requires additional volunteer resource as a dead-end,

Ticket URL: <https://meta.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/5093#comment:16>