[wp-meta] [Making WordPress.org] #5137: Noindex the thread at https://wordpress.org/support/topic/porno-notifications-on-my-behalf/

Making WordPress.org noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Apr 7 10:03:29 UTC 2020

#5137: Noindex the thread at https://wordpress.org/support/topic/porno-
notifications-on-my-behalf/
----------------------------+---------------------
 Reporter:  jonoaldersonwp  |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  task            |      Status:  new

Comment (by jonoaldersonwp):

 Replying to [comment:5 Otto42]:
 > Replying to [comment:4 jonoaldersonwp]:
 > > I'm not asking us to micro-manage all support forum threads. I'm
 asking us to micro-manage *this* thread, whilst we buy time to develop a
 more robust and systemised approach.

 > Okay, can you please explain why the existence of this topic in the
 forums this is so damaging that we need to take such targeted and specific
 actions to hide it from search engines?

 Do we really have to play this game? How much time do you want to invest
 in begin sceptical about SEO and marketing, vs fixing an immediate problem
 to the benefit of WordPress / wp.org / users / the brand?

 Instead, why don't we fast-forward to the point where I've spent an hour
 drawing out laborious explanations about how Google and brand/topic
 associations works, and just fix the immediate, trivially complex issue?

 If you want to learn SEO, Yoast has an [https://yoast.com/academy/free-
 seo-training-seo-for-beginners/ excellent course] (which is currently
 free). I believe you also have access to Google Search Console and Google
 Analytics, and the same data that I do.

 If we want to protect WordPress' market share, then we need to put out
 this fire. ''Then'' we can take our existential questions to Slack for
 discussion. I completely agree that we need to put more thought into
 systems, processes, and policies for NSFW (and potentially
 illegal/damaging/harmful content), but let's sort that ''later'', please?

--
Ticket URL: <https://meta.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/5137#comment:7>