[wp-meta] [Making WordPress.org] #2642: Better boosting for phrase matches (or add support for the user to specify a phrase)

Making WordPress.org noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Apr 18 18:03:31 UTC 2017

#2642: Better boosting for phrase matches (or add support for the user to specify
a phrase)
------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  gibrown           |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement       |      Status:  new

Comment (by tobifjellner):

 Let's say I find out about a specific plugin one way or another, I got a
 direct URL from a trusted article or a friend, for instance. So I'm right
 there, reading the page of this very plugin. And I want to install it.
 However, I prefer installing without using upload of a zip, so I'll copy
 the slug part of this plugin, then I'll jump over to the admin pages of my
 website, and go to plugin - Add new. And here my only option is to paste
 that slug into the search field.
 Before I'd typically see the wanted plugin within 3-4 first results. Now I
 may have to browse much longer than that.

 I can see different ways of fixing this:
 0. I change my behavior totally and start downloading and uploading zip-
 files instead.

 1. Adjust the search algorithm so that IF there's a 100% slug match for
 the search phrase, then it will be presented first, possibly marked "Slug
 match" or similar. (I.e. a meta adjustment of search algorithm)

 2. In WP-admin, when adding a plugin, add a third option: standard-search,
 zip-upload, and indicate slug of plugin. (and this field would allow any
 of
 {{{
 [slug|((http(s)://)wordpress.org)(/)plugins/slug|plugins]
 }}}
 Option 2. would mean fixing my biggest pain point in a totally different
 way.

--
Ticket URL: <https://meta.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/2642#comment:16>