[wp-meta] [Making WordPress.org] #2642: Better boosting for phrase matches (or add support for the user to specify a phrase)

Making WordPress.org noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Apr 5 16:35:08 UTC 2017

#2642: Better boosting for phrase matches (or add support for the user to specify
a phrase)
------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  gibrown           |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement       |      Status:  new

Comment (by quantumcloud):

 Agreed with @agilelogix . The new search ranking algorithm with massive
 ranking boost for older plugins with more downloads and installs makes it
 next to impossible for new plugins with better ideas to gain any traction.

 The downloads for our plugins dropped over 90% with the update. The plugin
 age seems to be the single most important factor now - establishing a
 status quo. We have 4 new plugins ready to submit. I understand that it is
 not WordPress' responsibility to help us get more downloads. But honestly,
 as plugin developer, this change is frustrating. Why bother releasing a
 useful Free version in the repository that will hardly ever get
 downloaded.

 Sorry, if I am venting the wrong place or said something wrong. My
 intention is to only share the difficulty and frustration we are facing
 new as relatively new-comer to WP plugin development.

 My 2 cents, reduce the value of plugin age, active installs and downloads
 as ranking factors.

 Thanks

--
Ticket URL: <https://meta.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/2642#comment:6>