[wp-meta] [Making WordPress.org] #2642: Better boosting for phrase matches (or add support for the user to specify a phrase)

Making WordPress.org noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Apr 3 15:50:36 UTC 2017

#2642: Better boosting for phrase matches (or add support for the user to specify
a phrase)
------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  gibrown           |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement       |      Status:  new

Comment (by gibrown):

 Good example @agilelogix thanks!

 > This is a big problem if the search will not show new plugins or with
 less active downloads there is no way to climb up the ranking.

 There is a bit of a catch-22 here unfortunately. A generic-ish name like
 "Post Timeline" is the type of search that anyone could run whether they
 are looking for that plugin or not. Given the low install count, it is
 probably pretty unlikely that they are actually looking for this plugin
 when trying to install it, and unfortunately we just can't be sure.

 But it is an interesting case because a "post timeline" is a fairly
 different thing from a plugin that has both the words "post" and
 "timeline" in it. It's actually a pretty good argument for supporting
 quotes I think.

 Better phrase boosting would also help somewhat (I suspect the phrase
 boosting is probably too low), but maybe not too much.

--
Ticket URL: <https://meta.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/2642#comment:3>