[wp-meta] [Making WordPress.org] #1524: WordPress.org SSO: custom template handling and CSS for login-related screens

Making WordPress.org noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Jan 26 15:46:23 UTC 2016

#1524: WordPress.org SSO: custom template handling and CSS for login-related
screens
--------------------------+---------------------------------------
  Reporter:  stephdau     |      Owner:  stephdau
      Type:  enhancement  |     Status:  assigned
Resolution:               |   Keywords:  has-screenshots has-patch
--------------------------+---------------------------------------

Comment (by melchoyce):

 Replying to [comment:35 stephdau]:
 > Replying to [comment:34 melchoyce]:
 > > Do we know what a WordPress.org single sign-on would be able to
 access? My guess would be a list of themes and plugins you've created,
 your basic profile information, your contribution history, and maybe your
 support forum history? @stephdau, do you know?

 > The single sign-on is for WordPress.org, as in, you login to all the
 wp.org properties (sites) through the same login screen, not the one for
 bbPress, or single instance of WP, or GlotPress', etc. Those are sites
 that live under the wordpress.org domain and can share auth cookies as is.

 > The oAuth flow on this same login.wordpress.org, on the other hand, will
 be used (at first) for our other properties/sites that donot run on the
 wordpress.org domain, and can therefore not share auth cookies, such as
 buddypress.org, wordcamp.org,bbpress.org, etc. Instead of authenticating
 (logging in, sharing cookies), they'll authorize the site (as an app, with
 login only seen if if not yet logged in to wp.org).

 Yup, I get that, but what access does that grant the partner sites
 (buddypress, bbpress, wordcamp, etc.)? Just an account? Is any of their
 WordPress.org data or information, aside from username, accessed by those
 partner sites?

 Essentially: '''what information does the user need to know''' before
 making the decision to approve or deny authorizing this site to use their
 WordPress.org account?

--
Ticket URL: <https://meta.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/1524#comment:40>