[wp-meta] [Making WordPress.org] #1524: WordPress.org SSO: custom template handling and CSS for login-related screens

Making WordPress.org noreply at wordpress.org
Sat Jan 23 00:44:54 UTC 2016

#1524: WordPress.org SSO: custom template handling and CSS for login-related
screens
--------------------------+---------------------------------------
  Reporter:  stephdau     |      Owner:  stephdau
      Type:  enhancement  |     Status:  assigned
Resolution:               |   Keywords:  has-screenshots has-patch
--------------------------+---------------------------------------

Comment (by hugobaeta):

 Replying to [comment:30 mapk]:
 > it looks like a dark background is workable, but removing the white box
 can make it seem too dark. Does that sound about right?

 @melchoyce put it best: There's a design language in place that would make
 sense to follow. If we don't, then there needs to be a strong reason for
 it.

 > * Adding ".org" to the logo: This has been requested a lot and could be
 a great addition to differentiate from typical WordPress installs.

 I'm still on the fence about it.I think this new page has enough of a
 distinguishing look from self-hosted installations logins or
 WordPress.com, that there less reason for confusion. Adding the intro text
 and the "Login to WordPress.org" would make it even clearer, what do you
 think?

 > * Adding "wordpress.org" to the login button: I hadn't thought about
 adding wordpress.org to the login button. With the other changes, would
 this be too much?

 Yes, great idea that I didn't notice from @melchoyce mockups before. I'll
 revise mine to include it

 >   * One reason I decided to remove the white box was to allow more
 flexibility when incorporating the OAuth stuff. @hugobaeta's mockup shows
 a side-by-side view, which I explored as well, but I was concerned about
 how this would look on mobile devices. Do you have ideas here?

 What did your research tell you? If you have any, would you mind sharing
 screenshots of what some other apps do? I've seen some flows where it just
 stacks and I have no problem with it, honestly - OAuth info first, login
 after.

 > * Moving "login" inline with "forgot password": I personally liked the
 fully-extended button better with my current design (no white box) because
 it helped define space. If we go back to using a box around the form, then
 having the button inline with the 'forgot password' checkbox should work
 just fine.

 The full width button and lack of structure (white sheet) is what, in my
 opinion, makes it look more like .com than before. With the addition of
 "Login to WordPress.com" in the button, then it will likely have to be
 full width, yes.

 Updated mockups to follow ;)

--
Ticket URL: <https://meta.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/1524#comment:31>