[wp-hackers] Wordpress 3.0, can we finally get a LTS version?

Mark Jaquith markjaquith at gmail.com
Thu Jun 17 21:55:21 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 5:12 PM, Dan Gayle <dangayle at gmail.com> wrote:
> Having to continually update a website because of security enhancements
> isn't a big deal. Updating a website because of some cool new feature, a
> feature that can introduce new bugs and security flaws, shouldn't be
> mandatory.

I agree, in principle. I don't like forcing people to choose between
security and a new, less time-tested version. There's no chance of LTS
like our 2.0 experiment (our goal was five years... it proved
impossible). But a "short-term-support" period with security-only
updates for the previous version is a possibility. There is less
chance of the fixes being difficult to port backwards, and it is
offered over a much shorter timeframe.

We haven't committed to doing that, but it's something I'm certainly
giving a lot of thought. It has to be presented in the right way, so
as to not discourage upgrading to the latest version, while still
offering more complicated WP rollouts a chance to be secure while they
get their plugins checked for compatibility.

--
Mark Jaquith
• http://markjaquith.com/http://coveredwebservices.com/