[wp-hackers] Wordpress 3.0, can we finally get a LTS version?

Demetris kikizas at gmail.com
Thu Jun 17 21:39:09 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 12:12 AM, Dan Gayle <dangayle at gmail.com> wrote:
> In Matt's release notes, he mentioned "We’re going to take a release cycle
> off to focus on all of the things around WordPress."
>
> One of those things should be long term support for the huge amount of
> commercial web properties now using WP that are caught in the never-ending
> cycle of release-update.

SNIP

In addition to what westi said,  another issue I see with adopting the
LTS concept is allocation of planned additions and changes between LTS
and non-LTS.  Because, obviously, you don’t want to provide long-term
support for a release which experimented too much and is more likely
to introduce issues.

Now, determining in advance what is safe for an LTS is not easy.  Some
things, like the MU merge, would obviously not fit in an LTS, but the
line is not as easy to draw in all cases.  This would make planning
difficult.

These are just some thoughts.  I am not opposed in principle to the
concept of LTS.

Cheers, and congratulations to all for 3.0!

Demetris
http://op111.net/76 ‹ See what is new in WordPress 3.0!