[wp-hackers] Wordpress StackExchange is ready.

Mark Jaquith markjaquith at gmail.com
Mon Jun 7 08:43:32 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 2:47 PM, eric at eamann.com <eric at eamann.com> wrote:
> Why reinvent the wheel?  There's a solution that exists that is fairly popular
> that we can use.

The hesitance is most assuredly not a case of NIH (Not Invented Here)
syndrome. Our goal should be to create sustainable communications
tools for the WordPress community. A third party site, running on
proprietary software does not meet our needs. I like Stack Overflow.
I've found it useful at times. But that's today. We're trying to
create a sustainable community around our sustainable web publishing
platform. We have to think about the future.

I don't object to use of Stack Overflow as an experiment, to see how
useful such a question/answer voting site is to WordPress users. You
certainly don't need any "official" blessing to explore that on your
own. But those experiments and their discussion should be in the
context of providing better sustainable communications tools for
WordPress.org that run on WordPress.org. Conversations will happen
where they happen. There are good reasons why there are back channels
(WP Tavern, for instance) and places for special interest discussion
that doesn't fit well on WordPress.org. But we're in trouble if people
in the community start leading little splinter groups away for one of
the core communications functions of WordPress.org: offering a place
for general user support.

Rest assured, the core team is well aware that there are ways in which
WordPress.org is falling short. We're even considering "taking a
release off" to work on WordPress.org, among other things.

In other news... everyone is running 3.0 and testing it against your
themes, plugins and server setups, right? MUSH! ;-)

--
Mark Jaquith
• http://markjaquith.com/http://coveredwebservices.com/