[wp-hackers] Username Madness

scribu scribu at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 15:39:18 UTC 2009

On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 4:49 PM, Glenn Ansley <glenn at glennansley.com> wrote:

> +1 on this.
> What about backwards compatibility?

The WP_User object could be populated in a backwards compatible way, so as
long as the plugin isn't accessing the database field directly, there should
be no problems.

On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 5:17 PM, Otto <otto at ottodestruct.com> wrote:

> -1. I see no benefit to this, and several downsides.

How about the benefit of less redundancy?

Currently, when a user changes any of user_nicename, first_name or
last_name, the display_name has to be updated too.

Those three fields do different things and so should contain different
> information.

Exactly. Currently, display_name stores the same information as one of the
other fields.

> Also, what if I want my display_name to be something different?

You should use user_nicename instead, since that's what it's for.

--
http://scribu.net