[wp-hackers] Got a question for you all

Mahmoud Al-Qudsi computerguru at neosmart.net
Tue Mar 25 17:05:27 GMT 2008

> WordPress site.  Owner of the site will maintain a database of
> newspapers and funeral directors within the state (we'll keep it local
> for now, but I can see this expanding to the entire country).  This
> database will contain contact information (phone numbers, email and
> snail mail addresses, hours of operation, fees, policies, etc.)
>
> It will be a fee-based membership area.  When someone logs in, they can
> search by town or zip code, and it'll bring up all the funeral
> directors
> *or* newspaper publications within an X-radius.  End user should be
> able
> to click on one (or more) checkboxes to select the publication (or
> funeral director) and send a mass email containing an obituary.  File
> upload are a must - the end user should be able to upload an image to
> run in the paper.

This is just my two cents, but this doesn't sound as much of a typical CMS-based site as much as it is a custom, interactive-centric site that is best served by a custom script, built for the job.

I get that you already have a WP in place, just bear in mind the old adage "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

Perhaps your (boss's) interests would be best served by taking a different approach on this matter?

-MQ