[wp-hackers] GSoC Project: Performance Pre-application

Jacob Santos wordpress at santosj.name
Sun Mar 23 20:04:31 GMT 2008

With regards, I apologize for the late response. To reply, Google does
not allow groups. If we are both accepted, we'll just work on our
separate solutions and hopefully at the completion, bits and pieces of
the highest quality will be used from either project. Good luck and if
you are accepted, I look forward to seeing what solution you provide and
how you handled it.

The baseline doesn't matter. I say this, because the goal is to find
where the current application is taking the most time and try to
optimize those areas. It might be you optimize one area, only to find
that a completely different area pops up to be time consuming. I would
suggest you run, fix, rinse, and repeat and continue until you can no
longer optimize the core any longer.

You can benchmark the database queries using PHP. There is a library for
mysql (which so happens is what WordPress uses) and mysqli, and
eventually PDO, called mysqlnd. If you compile mysql using that library
instead of the libmysqld library, then you'll gain the additional
benchmarking functions. Eh. If you find a tutorial on how to do this,
then it could probably be added to the benchmark plugin. The goal should
also be to track down poorly optimized SQL queries and fix those as well.

http://www.santosj.name/general/wordpress-google-summer-of-code-project/

My solution for the file includes is only to see if putting all of the
functions in a few files will help with the speed of the bootstrap.
Perhaps one day, a better MVC implementation will be used that will
allow for including only what is needed during any page load. However,
for now, whatever method would require a build process, so it would only
be to prove or disprove that using one file is an advantage to WordPress
Execution speed. I still think that doing so would be a disadvantage for
contributors with having one massive file with many many lines of code.

Sorry, I thought PerformancePress name was original, but it appears I
borrowed the idea from you, Mahmoud Al-Qudsi. Or at the very least, we
thought of the same generic term. I like the idea and it would be cool
to see how you were able to implement it.