[wp-hackers] Re: The fixed with of the admin area

Stephen Rider wp-hackers at striderweb.com
Wed Mar 5 13:46:26 GMT 2008

On Mar 4, 2008, at 11:15 PM, Charles wrote:

> Anyway, it's been known for a hundred years that text blocks meant for
> reading can't be too long without impacting humans' ability to read
> them.
> You certainly won't find anyone advocating 22" wide text fields.

That is correct.  There is a reason newspapers write in narrow columns.

The distinction here is probably that people with big monitors bump up
their fonts a bit bigger than 12pt.  I generally have my defaults at
about 16pt, and sometimes go bigger.  That makes a difference if the
width of the column is restricted by pixel count.

I would again suggest a max-width determined in em or %.  Think of it
as adjusting for inflation. ;)

(Actually, I've [rarely] seen sites where _everything_ was defined
this way.  The effect was very cool -- enlarging the text size scaled
up the entire page, just like zooming in.  Only really works that way
with _very_ limited graphics, though.)

Stephen

--
Stephen Rider