[wp-hackers] PHPMailer was a mistake

Burobjorn burobjorn at gmail.com
Sun Sep 16 09:56:26 GMT 2007

I would like to point out that I agree with Jacob Santos on the point of
using external libs instead of maintaining a dead in the water project
such as PHP Mailer. The resources spend on PHP Mailer might be better
invested into other aspects of Wordpress development.

Personally I really like the fact that jQuery is now part of WP so I
don't have to include it with my plugin nor does any other plugin author
anymore. This results in less files shipped with plugins and thus also
lessens the likelyhood of errors due to including different versions of
the same lib. The same could by thought of by using Swiftmailer instead
of PHPMailer. It offers a bit more for plugin developers and is well
maintained.

Just my 2 cents.

ps: As a sidenote I would like to point out that in the php4 vs php5
discussion it seems we all tend to forgot that we don't have to be
backwards incompatible in order to use php5. In fact WP does great on
php5 (5.2.4) and php4 on my machine. Unless we want to start using
specific php5 functions, which IMHO seems unlikely in WP, it all just works.

All the best,

grtz
BjornW
--

met vriendelijke groet,
Bjorn Wijers

* b u r o b j o r n .nl *
digitaal vakmanschap | digital craftsmanship

Concordiastraat 68-114
3551 EM Utrecht
The Netherlands

phone: +31 30 2444 101