[wp-hackers] Re: Blogroll, Bookmarks, Links?

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Tue Jun 19 20:34:57 GMT 2007

On 6/19/07, Marci O'Daffer <marci at odaffer.net> wrote:
> To the average user,
> "bookmarks" are in browsers and word processors and spreadsheets, but
> "links" are on websites, and take you from one website to another. So, all
> (or most?) things considered, I'm still camping with the Links folks.

What with the semi-recent advent of "social bookmarking", I'd have to
disagree with you there. del.icio.us and other services all use the
term "bookmark". Think of it like a link with metadata. del.icio.us
bookmarks have metadata (tags, description, etc), WP bookmarks do too
(category, XFN, RSS feed, description, etc).

Also, when people say they want to know how to add a Link, what do you
think? That they want to add things to their blogroll, or that they
want to make links in a post? Using "Link" just creates excessive
support confusion.

What with the new taxonomy structure being worked out, perhaps a way
to give bookmarks multiple taxonomies will occur as well (multiple
categories, multiple tags, etc). The similarity to del.icio.us and
other social bookmarking services should be taken into account, as
should any changes being made to the taxonomy system before deciding
on what the thing should be called.

I'm sticking with Bookmarks, and I'll argue for that as long as they
are more than simple a href's.