[wp-hackers] 2-3 plugins

John Sinteur john at sinteur.com
Sun Nov 13 07:32:53 GMT 2005

On Nov 13, 2005, at 8:22, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

>>> And the archive plugins pointed out so far make heavy use of AJAX
>

> Good point. I hadn't realised that the plug-in mentioned by Firas
> involves
> JavaScript, which spiders will never bother with. Although I have
> seen the
> plug-in  in question, I thought it was pure-CSS. If someone
> disables (e.g.
> comments  out)  standard sidebar archives in favour of this  plug-
> in,  the
> blog indeliberately gets narrow and scarsely crawled.

If we're going to limit what we can do in browser functionality by
what search engines can do, we're on the wrong track.

If SEO is an issue, detect the search engines by their agent string
and give them a non-ajax theme optimized for them. That way, user
themes can freely use ajax and give a much better user experience.

-John