[wp-hackers] 2-3 plugins

Roy Schestowitz r at schestowitz.com
Sun Nov 13 07:22:31 GMT 2005

_____/ On Sun 13 Nov 2005 06:50:44 GMT, [Firas D.] wrote : \_____

> Jeff Minard wrote:
>
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> For user navigation and SEO, archives
>>> are  very much necessary and should probably be enabled 'out of the  box'.
>>> In  their absence, people will rarely (if ever) bother to read the 'grave-
>>> yard'  of  posts.
>>

>> Maybe I'm missing something, but WP has archives by default. By
>> date, and by category. With RSS feeds.
>>
>> And the archive plugins pointed out so far make heavy use of AJAX

Good point. I hadn't realised that the plug-in mentioned by Firas involves
JavaScript, which spiders will never bother with. Although I have seen the
plug-in  in question, I thought it was pure-CSS. If someone disables (e.g.
comments  out)  standard sidebar archives in favour of this  plug-in,  the
blog indeliberately gets narrow and scarsely crawled.

> Yeah, the SEO thing is covered, but for actual humans the archives
> are pretty cumbersome.

What I found most impeding (both for humans and for deepcrawls) are LIMITs
on the number of fetched items (20 by default?), which means that calendar
(if  made  visible) is among few ways of getting to *all* posts. In  blogs
where  200  items are posted per month (centralised in a small  number  of
categories), this becomes a worrying bottleneck.

Regards,

Roy

--
Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Warning 0x12C: ispell feels tired
  7:10am  up 10 days  3:08,  3 users,  load average: 0.42, 0.62, 0.51