[wp-design] Minor Tweak

Joen Asmussen joen at noscope.com
Mon Jul 11 07:57:31 GMT 2005

I really like how all the main content looks, with write, collapse, etc,
but I have to be honest and state that I don't really like the whole new
header. I'll be specific, it's only fair.

The blue colour is a good colour to brand Wordpress with, it has all the
right qualities.

But i'm not seeing a strong brand in any of the other elements.
Basically, we have several stylistic approaches in one. There's
gradients, glass effects, inset shadows, rounded buttons, frames, square
buttons, highlighted buttons.

The problem with this is: "which style is the identity", and "where do I
click". If it's a blue hyperlink, or a gray push button, it's a no
brainer. But with no less than 3 new visual click styles, I'm just not
getting it.

*The Tabs*
It's not that we should go back to blue hyperlinks and push buttons. It
is only this: When something is clickable, there should be NO doubt it's
clickable. And THAT, is one of the main reasons why I've been voting for
tabs all along.

Tabs have the magnificent ability to be instantly recognizable, yet able
to hold several levels of information without taking up space. Heck,
Adobe patented it, so it must be good.

*The Identity*
Visually, the problem is that several stylistic approaches to providing
the Wordpress identity waters out the brand.

As it stands now, with the simple CURRENT wp logo (not the one on these
mockups), and the mainly monochrome colours, Wordpress sort of
communicates core values such as "simplicity". It doesn't do it as well
as it could do, and it MIGHT lack some elegance.

And hey, my own previous glassy mockups are suffering from these same
visual problems, so I'm guilty as charged, but that's why we do these
mockups.

But this new direction, to me, communicates confusion and complexity.
The elegance is lost in the confusion. Additionally, I must agree with
Michael that it works well with the logo. To me, the logo communicates
wicked worn rather than wicked elegant. The solution to having the logo
work, to me, would be to show the entire logo, and perhaps in a
different colour.

*Concrete feedback*
So the above was a rant because I felt it was necessary. Here are some
bulletted items of advice (I might get some time to mock with it myself):

* The navigation.
Oh damn why won't you go with tabs. But seriously, there's got to be a
better way. Maybe the first line of navigation is a line, while the
second one is tabs, kinda like how Wordpress does now? (or like
www.macromedia.com does)
Maybe make the navigation a vertical sidebar tab like the OSX one?

* The style
This is hard. I'm not really seeing a strong theme in the style. What
could help could be to approach the "log out / view site" links
differently. The glass from the wp logo doesn't seem like the glass on
the main line of navigation... maybe if they were more the same ?

Well, we've come a long way. But as an old chinese saying goes:

"The moment where you are the closest to giving up, is when you are
closest to succeeding."

So we're really getting there... but IMHO we have to really nail these
last things!