[wp-design] WYSIWYG anyone?

Joen Asmussen joen at noscope.com
Mon Feb 21 18:09:46 GMT 2005

Khaled Abou Alfa wrote:

>I think a WYSIWYG feature would bring a lot to the program, but like
>Matt said it would have to be limited, and it would have to generate
>valid code, which all the one's I've tried so far give me some serious
>rubbish on the other hand.

Valid code of course. That's one of the values of Wordpress, maybe not a
core value, but not something to discard.

>I disagree on the text align. I use it all the time, in fact I've
>added a 'center' tag in my admin file, and a image align left and
>align right. I think these things are useful. Not really sure I see
>the reason why you guys are adverse to here. Is there a particular
>reason why this is not something we should be persuing?

Actually, it hit me right after I sent the mail.

strong, em, a, ul ol etc are semantic tags. There's no semantic tag for
text align left, right, center or justified. As such, it would mean
wrapping elements in a <span> with a hardcoded class. Thinking more
about it, that was a mistake on my part. We should leave out text-align.

With that said, I still think some form of "align" could be cool, i.e.
to float images left / right. But that would be the same story about
spans, etc.

In a case like this, I think we should probably follow the Firefox
example of keeping the core files lightweight, and leaving the rest to
extensions / plugins.

--

Joen Asmussen

CPH, DENMARK