[wp-design] A Quick Sketch

Michael Heilemann heilemann at mac.com
Thu Feb 17 07:03:44 GMT 2005

Thanks for the comments Joen,

>> Using Joen's PSD file (which almost killed my poor Powerbook!), I
>> quickly moved around some of the elements (I hope the list can
>> receive these files) :
>
> Sorry about that, I guess I'm just spoiled here on my foo-tastic
> Windows machine. I forgot you were on a mac. Poor you. *hehehee* (I
> jest of course)

Why you!

>> 2) (sorry for the order of the numbers) First of all, there should be
>> no difference between the buttons in terms of using bold and what
>> not. Secondly, it's my opinion that 'save' should save the entry in
>> the same way that 'save' in any application would, and not 'save and
>> close', which is what it does now. Preferable it should save using
>> that XMLHttpthingamabobber, letting the user know of a successful
>> save somehow (not a popup box for the love of God!). If this is
>> implemented, there should also be a visible indicator of whether or
>> not you have saved the entry you are working on yet... I personally
>> think we should implement autosave as well, but I'll throw that up
>> for discussion. Publish should save, publish and take you to the post
>>
> Totally agree, except for a few things.
> For one, we should be _really_ careful which things we "hide" by
> default. Sure we can cookie stuff, but by default, it should be
> optimal. Things that would be obvious to hide, are "timestamp" and
> "custom fields". However, post status, post slug, at the very least,
> should be visible by default. I don't mind that we can collapse these,
> and cookie that setting.

I really don't think the post slug needs to be visible by default. You
think so? How come?

>> 3) Trackback, time, post slug, custom fields and what not else should
>> all go in under 'Advanced Options'. Pressing the arrow / link will
>> unfold it (dynamically of course) and allow you to make the changes
>> you want.
>>
> I'm all for the idea of hiding stuff, but we should be careful about
> "mystery meat" navigation. By that I mean, instead of writing
> "advanced options", and hiding everything under that, we have titles
> for each hidden element, and dropdowns for each.

I'd like to see a sketch, though in my minds eye that complicates
things even further...

>> Furthermore, the 'edit time' should have a button that brings up a
>> calender instead of the current method. Something like this (which I
>> ripped out of Squarespace):
>>
> couldn't see the sample?

Was that a question or...? I copied it directly from a screenshot I had
taken, might've been the problem. Can you see this (and Matt, since you
might be on mail.app, can you see this):