[theme-reviewers] Translating readme.txt

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Sun Oct 5 18:51:01 UTC 2014

On Sun, Oct 5, 2014 at 1:35 PM, Liane Blanco <lianeblanco at gmail.com> wrote:

> It's not a theme that I am reviewing, it's a theme that I uploaded myself
> that is in the queue. I probably should have addressed the question
> elsewhere but it would be nice to not waste time including it in future
> themes, if what I'm doing is a waste of time.
>
> For example, in the .pot file for Silver, Blue & Gold I have:
>
> #. readme.txt:17
> msgid "Features:
> msgstr ""

Yes, that is odd, to say the least. :) How are you creating these POT files?

The proper way to create a POT is as follows:

1. Get a copy of the develop repository somewhere. Just checkout the trunk
copy.

svn co http://develop.svn.wordpress.org/trunk/ develop-wp

2. If you're on Windows, install the gettext package from gnu:

http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/gettext.htm

2b. After installing said package, make sure to add the directory of these
files to your path. The directory will likely be C:\Program Files
(x86)\GnuWin32\bin , and you can adjust your path in Windows 8 by going to
the System Control Panel, clicking the "Advanced System Settings" link,
then clicking the Environment Variables link. Just add that directory to
the PATH setting so that the gettext executables are accessible. You only
really need the msguniq one anyway.

2c. If you're on Linux, use your package manager to install the standard
"gettext" package.

2d. If you're on Mac, then you're on your own buddy. I don't have the first
clue how Mac stuff works. You need the gettext package, specifically just
to make the "msguniq" command work.

3. Open a command prompt in the develop-wp directory you got earlier.
3b. cd tools\i18n
3c. php makepot.php wp-theme c:\path\to\your\theme\directory themeslug.pot

The makepot.php code will generate the POT file for you based on your
theme, automatically. Script this process, if you like, but note that you
do need the entire WordPress develop trunk checkout, not just the PHP file.
It makes calls back into the WordPress source itself to do some of the
theme parsing and such.