[theme-reviewers] Theme Names

Bryan Hadaway bhadaway at gmail.com
Fri Jun 27 01:49:01 UTC 2014

Here's what I replied with to the other discussion (didn't realize there
was a bigger one at hand):

"I agree, it's theme developer's responsibility to not infringe on
trademarks and trademark holder's responsibility to protect their
trademarks, but impossible for the theme review team (except for in
extremely obvious cases) to check for or inform of possible trademark
issues."

That's the only logical solution. In other words, in the rare event that
this issue comes up, I'm sure it will be dealt with by the parties involved
or brought to WordPress directly to have the infringing content removed.
But, having the team go as far as to Google the theme name to see if it's
already been used or check against the USPTO would be insane, that's the
theme developer's due diligence to make sure their theme/product names are
unique and original, as in not taken.