[theme-reviewers] Updating the Accessibility Ready tag guidelines

Joe Dolson design at joedolson.com
Tue Jun 17 21:49:24 UTC 2014

For theme updates, it depends somewhat on whether the theme is adding
accessibility-ready for the first time: if so, then it needs to go through
a complete review, no matter what.

If the theme is updating and has already been approved for
accessibility-ready, then it just needs to be checked for regressions - for
small updates, this can probably be done through a diff comparison, but for
large updates, it's probably going to be most efficient to do the checks
again (with a higher level of trust, probably, based on prior passes).

I've been working on an accessible theme that I'll be releasing before too
long, at https://github.com/joedolson/accessible-twin-cities

It includes extensive documentation regarding accessibility features and a
structure designed to help spot some of the stuff that's specific to
accessibility.

It also includes a demo child theme that reverses a lot of the
accessibility features, so that you can see a comparison between one and
the other: https://github.com/joedolson/inaccessible-twin-cities

Best,
Joe

On Tue, Jun 17, 2014 at 4:42 PM, Jose Castaneda <jomcastaneda at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I was not aware of the chrome/firefox add-ons for color.
>
> So for updates, what would be the proper steps? If it effects
> accessibility would it go through the process again? Or just
> approved/not-approve depending on what the reviewer sees/encounters.
>
> Is there a sandbox theme available? I would love to see and maybe be a
> part of that.
>

> On Tue, Jun 17, 2014 at 1:35 PM, Joe Dolson <design at joedolson.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi, all -
>>
>> So, the accessibility-ready tag is cruising along, and based on my
>> experience and feedback from the last 6 months of reviews, I've been
>> working on revising the accessibility-ready guidelines.
>>
>> My goals are two make them a little easier to understand, add some
>> examples, and add some resources to help people have a better idea what to
>> do. I've also elaborated some recommended techniques: things that we aren't
>> requiring, but which would be great to have.
>>
>> They're currently posted in the Accessibility Team P2:
>>

>> http://make.wordpress.org/accessibility/draft-updated-theme-review-accessibility-guidelines/
>>
>> If you have any comments, feel free to make them on this list or on the
>> P2.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Best,
>> Joe
>>
>> --

Joseph Dolson
Accessibility consultant & WordPress developer
http://www.joedolson.com
http://profiles.wordpress.org/joedolson