[theme-reviewers] Need Clarification on theme name which is fine as per the guideline and as per the other theme names !

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Tue Jul 22 18:32:07 UTC 2014

The point of the guideline is that the name isn't actually a keyword, nor a
search term. In other words, using "SEO" stuff like that for the names
*doesn't work*. You can try all you like, but it's a false sense of the
game.

Names are not important as keywords or search terms. That isn't how search
works. That isn't how keywords work. And anybody who tells you differently
is selling something.

The most important thing to improve in your theme, for search results, is
the description. The name is a couple of words. The description is a bit
longer and more useful.

The truth is that as far as search and ranking goes, names don't matter.
But as far as user-recognition goes, they matter quite a lot. One of the
most consistently popular themes is "Atahualpa". Heck of a name there. It's
a *great* search term because of it's uniqueness though. It's in the top
10-20 themes, and has been there consistently for many, many years. I am
constantly running into sites using Atahualpa as their theme. New sites. It
gets a lot of traction. Another popular theme: "Graphene". A few more in
the top 30: "Avada", "Thesis", "Divi", "Customizr", "Suffusion", "Clean
Frog", "Mantra"... Seeing any pattern here?

SEO keywords in the name are a bad idea because *they don't work*,
not because it's spammy. My concern is not to ban SEO-seeded names, but
to explain to people why they're a really dumb idea. They don't
help anything; they don't improve your search results. The theme name
of "Responsive" is an outlier and one of only two in the top 100 that could
be considered to have a name with a keyword in it. The next one down is
"Portfolio Press", at around rank 90 or so.

-Otto

On Tue, Jul 22, 2014 at 1:09 PM, Srikanth Koneru <tskk79 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Otto, you are agreeing "premium photography" is a bad SEO attempt, but
that guideline says names should not have SEO keywords.
> So tomorrow is someone submits "premium responsive photography" is that
acceptable? When does it become spam? Just curious.