[theme-reviewers] Managing the Accessibility-Ready tag

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Mon Jan 20 21:13:16 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jan 20, 2014 at 2:38 PM, Joe Dolson <design at joedolson.com> wrote:
> Any admin have a reason to think that should stay as is? The work flow
> doesn't exist, so I don't think it's practical. The review needs to be done
> at a point where the theme author can resubmit with accessibility fixes or
> without the accessibility-ready tag, I think.

Let's try it from another angle:

- Should a theme having the accessibility-ready tag, but having some
accessibility problems, be sufficient reason for not-approved, at this
moment in time?

In short, do we actually have enough reviewers capable of performing
an accessibility review to make this a mandatory requirement? Do we
have a document to teach people how to perform such a review? Do we
have written standards? Better yet, can those standards be turned into
objective tests that we can add to Theme-Check?

The field of accessibility seems a bit subjective to me. I have read
the documents and all the stuff at the make blog on the topic, and I
still feel that I would not be qualified to determine what is
"accessible" or not.

We need some form of standards and people willing to review to those
standards in order to make this sort of thing a "required" step.
Otherwise we end up with people stuck in the queue forever because
nobody's around to do the review for them.