[theme-reviewers] 'accessibility-ready' tag

esmi at quirm dot net esmi at quirm.net
Thu Jan 16 11:38:45 UTC 2014

on 16/01/2014 00:42 Bass Jobsen said the following:
<snip>
> My solution is to change the link color. AFAIK there are no 3 colors each
> having an contrast > 5 to each other. So when i change the link color only,
> i got a problem. My solution is to make it's font bigger than default
> (20px) and bolt, now i can use a hover color with contrast > 3 to linkcolor
> and navbar background color.

You can also style the :focus and :active states to add text:underline.
Or remove the underline if the link has an underline in its default
state. This will ensure that the theme isn't relying on color alone to
indicate link states. I'd argue that the underline change isn't
absolutely necessary for the :hover state as those using a mouse will
also be able to rely upon their browser's cursor change when they hover
over a link - although feel free to add it if you wish. :-)

> For the button in the navbar i found the same kind of problem. The
> background should have a contrast > 5 with the navbar background and the
> button's font.
> My solution is to add a white border around the button. Will this be a11y
> proof?

Not really as again you're relying on color alone to indicate a change
in state.

> Do you have an other solution?

The underline change that I described above?

> Bootstraps buttons have a little background change of hover and focus.
> Should buttons have a hover / focus from a a11y view at all?

As I've explained, it's not such an issue with the :hover state but can
be a problem for those relying on :focus and :active. Sometimes the best
way to approach this initially is to just try navigating around a theme
using just your tab key. How easy is it? Are you getting lost easily or
having to peer at the screen to figure out which link currently has
focus? Would navigation using the tab key be easier or harder if the
entire theme was grey-scaled?

Does that help?

Mel
--