[theme-reviewers] 'accessibility-ready' tag

Bass Jobsen bass at w3masters.nl
Thu Jan 16 00:42:07 UTC 2014

 Hi Joe,

Again thanks for your explanation. This really helps!

If you wanted to, you could probably write a script that checked
> contrasting custom colors defined by the user and returned a warning if
> they fell outside the WCAG contrast guidelines. It wouldn't be difficult --
> I can provide the code for comparing the two colors, if you want it. I
> wrote a plug-in for myself a while ago that provides comparison of two
> colors via a shortcode, and it wouldn't be difficult to adapt it into a
> settings check in a theme.

That's will be a nice solution, and thank for willing share you code.
Cause i have many other things to do to get my theme ready, i will start to
add some information to the ready, i can also refer to
https://www.joedolson.com/articles/wp-accessibility/ maybe, but i first
have to test it. To make sure i also work when the theme is a11y ready
already.

After the discussion here https://github.com/twbs/bootstrap/issues/12199 is
i start to get thing a11y ready myself. I started with the navbar, see the
results on http://demo.jbst.eu/. I'm curious what you think about it.

i have add the skiplinks structure. Found no problems with that.

Other things. Bootstrap's has a brand name in the navbar, this is a link to
home by default.
Cause this is something like a logo, i should change background on hover, i
think.
My solution is to change the link color. AFAIK there are no 3 colors each
having an contrast > 5 to each other. So when i change the link color only,
i got a problem. My solution is to make it's font bigger than default
(20px) and bolt, now i can use a hover color with contrast > 3 to linkcolor
and navbar background color.

For the button in the navbar i found the same kind of problem. The
background should have a contrast > 5 with the navbar background and the
button's font.
My solution is to add a white border around the button. Will this be a11y
proof? Do you have an other solution?
Bootstraps buttons have a little background change of hover and focus.
Should buttons have a hover / focus from a a11y view at all?
I also found some other issues s.a. a orange looking button should have
black texts while other have white text. I understand why but i also have
some doubts about aesthetics here.
A bigger font / bold should not break the navbar, for orange / white it
don't help much.
Default button colors in Bootstrap do mean something like green = success,
orange = warning, etc.

Thanks and best regards,

Bass