[theme-reviewers] GPL and limiting usage

Bryan Hadaway bhadaway at gmail.com
Fri Sep 20 13:55:25 UTC 2013

*@Emil* - So, you tell us we cannot discuss here in-list and should post
in-ticket:

"This discussion is inappropriate for this list. As noted few times here if
you have any questions please add them to the ticket directly, not here."

So, we do that and then you tell us it's inappropriate to do that? Then you
create unnecessary rhetoric about this being simply an issue of CyberChimps
Vs PageLines. And because of this, you're just going to ignore all
legitimate issues raised by "competitors". Any of us at all that develop
themes, which is most of us, are technically competitors.

And besides all that, you're the one who alerted me to the original DMS
ticket in the first place!

*@Admins* - I have never in my life wished so much that I didn't work for
CyberChimps (because I love working there), just because this is going to
be used to discredit anything that's said. This ticket (
https://themes.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/14369) is spiraling out of control
fast because of unnecessary rhetoric created on all sides. Can we please
get you to step in and forget who said what and simply look at all the
facts?

*@Community/Theme Developers* - You guys are the ones that raised this
discussion in the first place, don't let this be cheapened into some sort
of unfounded petty attack by CyberChimps and let that be used as some sort
of catalyst for special treatment or exceptions to allow a theme that none
of us could get approved, approved. You guys can see all the issues here
just fine without my help.

This is not and never will be just some personal issue, this effects us
all. If we allow a free theme to be accepted who's pro theme abuses and
takes advantage of users in the form of restricting usage based on how much
they pay and also forces them to continue paying indefinitely or their
theme will be handicapped creates a precedent that we're all allowed to do
that.

Even if some loophole in the GPL has been found, while I don't think so
because this so obviously and blatantly goes against everything the GPL
stands for, this is still wrong!

It's so incredibly absurd that I have to try so hard to do the right thing
when that's the entire point of this review process, to protect users from
these kinds of things.