[theme-reviewers] GPL and limiting usage

Bryan Hadaway bhadaway at gmail.com
Wed Oct 9 23:08:05 UTC 2013

*@Justin*

I'll take this one.

YES

First, let's think about the word "restrict" in the right context. No
license can actually, physically restrict anyone from doing anything.
Restrict in this context means the stated restriction for which users are
to comply with in order to stay in good standing with the license.

Direct quote from the GNU:

"the user is free to install, copy, and share as much as they like"

Yet, PageLines says you can install on 1, 6, or unlimited sites depending
on how much you pay. This is a direct contradiction to the GPL. PageLines
is imposing a restriction that is not GPL compatible and is in fact a
proprietary stipulation.

Not to even mention the proprietary API kill switch.

So, while we can at least all agree that there is some serious WP policy
issues to be addressed, there are definitely GPL ones too.

I think that answers your question irrefutably?

So to fire a question back at you, instead of just disagreeing with me, can
you actually rebut what I'm saying?