[theme-reviewers] Up-sell theme

Greg Priday greg at siteorigin.com
Wed May 22 17:06:08 UTC 2013

Thanks for the clarification Chip and Cais. I have removed the premium
upgrade from this particular theme. I'd rather wait until I get the free
version perfect before adding a premium upgrade.

Chip, where would the best place for me to mention the license of my
premium versions? Would a line in the readme be enough? My premium versions
are under the same GPL license as the free version.

I'll also clarify those 2 features when I do add the premium version.

1) The premium version automatically removes the credit link, while the
free version would require a manual edit of footer.php

2) This was to say that the premium version gets automatic updates (a lot
of premium themes don't integrate auto updates) and that purchasing the
upgrade will help support continued development. My free/premium versions
are largely the same code. So both are updated.

On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 6:50 PM, Chip Bennett <chip at chipbennett.net> wrote:

> Up-sell Themes must explicitly state the license of both the free and
> commercial versions.
>
> Up-sell Themes must clearly state the differences between free
> and commercial versions.
>
> With regard to features locked behind the paywall: none can be a core
> feature (custom header, custom background, etc.). Themes can *expand* core
> features (e.g. more dynamic sidebars, etc.), but the core feature
> implementation must not be completely behind the paywall.
>
> Here are two "features" in the commercial version that I have a problem
> with, and would want to have clarified:
>
> 'heading' => __('Remove Attribution Links', 'portal'),
>
> 'content' => __('Portal premium gives you the option to easily remove the "Powered by WordPress, Theme by SiteOrigin" text from your footer. ', 'portal'),
>

> and:
>
> 'heading' => __("Continued Updates", 'portal'),
>
> 'content' => __("You'll get continued updates, ensuring that your site keeps on working with the latest version of WordPress for years to come.", 'portal'),
>

> In the first: there's nothing wrong with making a Theme option to remove
> the footer credit link; but the wording must be sure not to imply that the
> footer credit link can *only* be removed via the commercial version. In the
> second: this implies that the free version is not intended to be
> maintained/updated. If that is the case, then the free version is not
> suitable for the Theme directory.
>

> On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 10:49 AM, esmi at quirm dot net <esmi at quirm.net>wrote:
>
>> <https://themes.trac.**wordpress.org/ticket/12187<https://themes.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/12187>
>> >

>> Quite a few features in this theme are locked unless you upgrade to the
>> premium version. Nothing that's a showstopper but, based upon:
>>
>> "Up-sell Themes may be subjected to more rigorous or additional
>> Theme-Review requirements, at the discretion of the Theme Review Team "
>> <http://codex.wordpress.org/**Theme_Review#Up-Sell_Themes<http://codex.wordpress.org/Theme_Review#Up-Sell_Themes>
>> >

>> What should I be looking for/at?
>>
>> Mel
>> --