[theme-reviewers] Removing core features

Bryan Hadaway bhadaway at gmail.com
Wed May 22 13:41:20 UTC 2013

@Chip - I just don't see any clear way of differentiating visual/functional
completely in terms of allowed/not-allowed making sense and being
consistent.

For example, sliders are allowed to be programed into free repo themes. -
Very visual.

Another example, SEO features can be programmed into free repo themes. -
NOT very visual.

I tend to agree that it's not a good idea to go too far visually OR
functionally with a theme or you'll have cookie-cutter and compatibility
issues.

One thing that really confuses me, is if we can ADD pure functionality
features to themes like:

add_theme_support( 'automatic-feed-links' );

Why can't we REMOVE or otherwise MANIPULATE those same functions. As far as
I see it, a theme for all intents and purposes essentially IS a plugin for
WordPress with lots of functions and some with option panels and so forth.
The stylesheet is frankly one small aspect in terms of what comprises a
theme.

Also, I don't suspect this rule will ever change, in fact I think many are
wanting to move in an even more strict direction. I'm just trying to see if
I can make sense of it, respectively.