[theme-reviewers] Theme Review Challenge and Second Opinion

Chip Bennett chip at chipbennett.net
Wed Mar 20 01:26:53 UTC 2013

By the way, I'll share this with the list, rather than in-ticket. As per
the Codex, the best-practice implementation to add a "parent" class to
wp_nav_menu() list items is to filter wp_nav_menu_objects. I recently used
this method, myself:

function oenology_add_menu_parent_class( $items ) {

	$parents = array();
	foreach ( $items as $item ) {
		if ( $item->menu_item_parent && $item->menu_item_parent > 0 ) {
			$parents[] = $item->menu_item_parent;
		}
	}

	foreach ( $items as $item ) {
		if ( in_array( $item->ID, $parents ) ) {
			$item->classes[] = 'menu-item-parent';
		}
	}

	return $items;
}
add_filter( 'wp_nav_menu_objects', 'oenology_add_menu_parent_class' );

I would recommend this method rather than using jQuery, though I'm not sure
about it being *required*.