[theme-reviewers] Theme Vs Plugin Territory

Chip Bennett chip at chipbennett.net
Fri Mar 1 18:59:27 UTC 2013

Custom Post Types are, by definition and design, intended for "generation
or definition of user content", and as such are explicitly Plugin
territory, as per the Guidelines.

If a user creates content using a Theme-registered CPT, then when that user
switches Themes, that content disappears. (It's there in the database, but
no longer exposed to the user, either in the WordPress admin, or in the
site front end; to them, that content is simply gone.) Thus, CPTs represent
a form of Theme "lock-in" and are not allowed.

Special-case Themes that use CPTs can be considered on a case-by-case basis.