[theme-reviewers] Webmaster Tools IDs - plugin territory?

Chip Bennett chip at chipbennett.net
Mon Jul 15 12:12:56 UTC 2013

> Those when switching to one theme or another will have some things no
> longer work – and that is fine.  There are plenty of ways, avenues and
> programming that you can take to include those features into the theme you
> switch to.

I disagree with "and that is fine." Most end users aren't developers, and
won't have the skills or desire to take advantage of the "plenty of ways,
avenues and programming" to add missing functionality to their new Theme.

The single most important party in this consideration is not the Theme
developer, or the Theme reviewers, but rather the Theme's end users.

> The BIGGEST idea about that the don’t-worry-about-it group’s main
> objective is to make the theme review process easier and faster to get
> through.   The biggest thing that people get hung up on returning day after
> day to review themes is how time consuming they are to go through.   We
> also believe that it’s not the theme review team’s responsibility to
> control that aspect of allowing a theme to have a feature or not, that is
> up to the core dev’s to make that determination.

The core team has made it the Theme Review Team's responsibility.

And I disagree that what you're suggesting would make Theme reviews easier.
Why would a Theme review be easier if the Theme can include any manner of
arbitrary functionality? Allowing functionality that goes beyond
presentation of user content just means that much more code that a reviewer
has to review, understand, and test.

> Use all of the plugins, theme unit test and requirements for the backlinks
> and other things.   Do the cursory views of everything that’s important and
> move em through the review process.

That's not sufficient for the end user. Code needs to be secure. Included
functionality needs to work properly.I contend that those considerations
*are* important to end users. Thus, everything that a Theme indicates that
it does needs to be tested during the review process.