[theme-reviewers] Theme Tag: Responsive

Bruce Wampler weavertheme at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 00:38:02 UTC 2013

On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 5:12 PM, Otto <otto at ottodestruct.com> wrote:

> Then use a term which has an actual meaning. "Mobile-friendly".
> Something like that. Be specific about what you're advertising there.
>

> -Otto

I do think there is room for what responsive means, but at this point, I
think most of us, as well as users, understand that "responsive" = "mobile
ready".

But - and here I agree with Otto - it is the mobile-friendly or
mobile-ready that is the key as to what people are looking for.

And pure responsive design - with its flexible-width, rearranging content
on different resolutions, special mobile menus, etc, can be achieved with %
and @media. But that is not the only to be mobile friendly. It also
possible to be very device specific using user agents, and that is a
reasonable design paradigm as well. So a term like "mobile-friendly" would
not only convey the feature, but would allow for different ways to do that.
The responsive guidelines I gave earlier are not user agent oriented, but I
could easily conceive of a theme that has very specific support for iOS or
Android, or whatever that is really not "responsive".

But in any case, I think it is time to add an unambiguous tag for
responsive/mobile support. (I don't think "adaptive" is that obvious.)

Bruce Wampler