[theme-reviewers] Theme names and updates

Morgan Kay morgan at wpalchemists.com
Sun Dec 22 21:27:53 UTC 2013

This might be slightly off-topic for this list.... but I just ran into a
problem on a client's site that I have seen happen more than once.  The
client has a custom theme, and the theme's name is "Polaris."  The
client was being diligent about doing updates on their site, and
WordPress told them that they needed to update the Polaris theme, so
they did.  Unfortunately, "Polaris" is also the name of a theme in the
WordPress theme repository, which has a later version number than the
custom theme named "Polaris" on the client's website.  So they thought
they were updating their current theme, when actually they were
installing a whole new theme which completely broke their site.

This isn't the first time I have seen this happen.  Apparently WordPress
only compares the theme name and the version number, and then prompts
for an update.

So I have two questions here:
1) Is there anything that theme authors who write bespoke themes can do
to prevent this from happening?  Other than only using really obscure
names, or giving our themes artificially high version numbers?
2) Can we change how WordPress looks for theme updates so that it checks
Author name or some other required parameters to make sure that it is
actually the same theme?  (I know - you're going to tell me to fix it
myself.  I would actually be happy to do that, but there seem to be some
policy questions involved here, such as whether authors are likely to
change their author name or URI, and whether these changes would prevent
themes from being updated when they should.)

Thanks!
Morgan.

--
Morgan Kay